- Course: Favourites
Mayonnaise is a thick, creamy dressing often used as a condiment. It is a stable emulsion of oil, egg yolk, and either vinegar or lemon juice, with many options for embellishment with other herbs and spices.
This is Homemade Mayonnaise using egg yolks.
4 Egg yolks
10 gm Mustard
500 ml Salad oil
50 ml Vinegar
1. Place the egg yolks into a basin, add the mustard and mix with a little of the vinegar.
2. Slowly add the oil whisking constantly. As the sauce thickens add a little vinegar, continue until all the oil and vinegar have been incorporated then, season with salt and pepper.
1. In cold weather remove the chill from the oil by warming it to blood heat.
2. If required 5 g of sugar may be added.
3. This sauce is mainly served with or used in salads and fish dishes.