Maggie’s Cottage Pie2016-12-08
Cottage Pie is made with beef mince, Shepherds pie is made with Lamb mince the two dishes are often confused.
600 gm Minced Beef
1kg Peeled Potatoes (Cut to size)
125 gm Onions (Diced)
125 gm Carrots (Diced)
125 gm swede (Diced)
1/2 A Cabbage savoy / Green Cabbage (Sliced)
25 gm Tomato Puree
Dash of Worcester Sauce
2 Beef Stock Cubes
1 litre Water (Hot)
Salt & Pepper
1. Slice the cabbage finely as possible, place in a saucepan add a knob of butter and a pinch of salt and half fill with water, place on a medium heat.
2. Place your potatoes in another saucepan and add salt and fill with water, bring to the boil.
3. Heat a dash of oil in a saucepan, sweat onions and add the mince brown off for about 5 mins, add carrots & swede and sweat for a further 3 mins,
4. Make up the beef stock, whisk the water and stock together.
5. Stir in the tomato puree, pour in the stock and simmer for 20 mins, then thicken with gravy mix as needed , taste and adjust seasoning salt & pepper.
6. Layer your mince on the bottom of your oven proof dish
7. Allow to rest (cool down) whilst you prep your mash and cabbage.
8. Drain the water from both cabbage and the potato saucepans.
9. Add a knob of butter & a drop of milk to the potatoes, and mash your potatoes until there are a completely smooth consistency.
10. Put the cabbage on top of your mince, then place your mash on top of your cabbage and mince and score with the back of a fork.
11. Now put cottage pie in a preheated oven at 170c for 30-40 mins until golden brown.
12. Serve, personally i prefer cottage pie leftover’s the following day the flavour is amazing.
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
2 people rated this recipe