Macaroni and cheese—also called mac and cheese in American, Canadian, and Australian English; macaroni pie in Caribbean English; and macaroni cheese in the United Kingdom—is a dish of English origin.
The first modern recipe for the dish was included in cookery writer Elizabeth Raffald’s 1770 book, The Experienced English Housekeeper. Raffald’s recipe is for a Béchamel sauce with cheddar cheese—a Mornay sauce in French cooking—which is mixed with macaroni, sprinkled with Parmesan, and baked until bubbly and golden. The famous British Victorian cookbook.
Portion Size: 4-6
Prep Time: 30 minutes
350 gm Penne Pasta
300 gm Grated Cheddar
400 ml White Sauce (Bechamel)
Salt & Pepper
1. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water for 10 minutes then drain well cool under cold running water.(once pasta is cooled drain well)
2. In a Large bowl or saucepan add bechame sauce and pasta together then add 200 gm of the grated cheddar season with salt and pepper.
3. Place the macaroni cheese into your oven dish and sprinkle the last of the grated cheddar over the top/
4. Place in a preheated oven 160c for 20 – 30 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and serve piping hot.
6. Optional – Add cooked diced bacon the flavour with the mac cheese is amazing.
1. Always Wash your hand’s before any food preparation begins.
2. I can not emphasize enough try these recipes with your kid’s, My children love to watch and get involved mainly making soups/recipes homemade, can’t beat it Enjoy.
3. If you have any questions feel free to email me at email@example.com , i will reply almost instantly to help in any way i can.
4. 1 ml (milliliter) is the equivalent of 1 gm (gram).
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe