- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 4:000 h
- Cook Time : 3:000 h
- Ready In : 4:000 h
Stomach bag of sheep
The Pluck (heart, liver and lights)
400 gm Suet
400 gm Oatmeal
100 gm Onions
Cayenne pepper Pinch
1. Clean the bag and soak it in cold water with a little salt for 4 hours.
2. Wash the pluck thoroughly. Put it into a saucepan, letting the windpipe hang over the side into a bowl to drain out the impurities cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours.
3. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Save the cooking liquor.
4. When cold cut away the windpipe. Pass the heart, liver and lights through a mincer.
5. Peel and finely chop the onions. Toast the oatmeal and shred the suet.
6. Mix all the ingredients together, moisten with the cooking liquor add the herbs and seasoning.
7. Half fill the bag with the mixture, this is to allow for expansion and sew up the hole.
8. Put the haggis in a saucepan, cover it with water, bring to the boil and simmer slowly for 4 hours.
9. Allow to rest for 30 mins and serve.
Notes: This dish is best served with carrot and swede puree and creamy mash.