Coq Au Vin2016-12-08
Coq au vin is a French dish of chicken braised with wine, Bacon lardons, mushrooms, and optionally garlic The flavours in this dish are amazing..
Various legends trace coq au vin to ancient Gaul and Julius Caesar, but the recipe was not documented until the early 20th century; it is generally accepted that it existed as a rustic dish long before that. A somewhat similar recipe, poulet au vin blanc, appeared in an 1864 cookbook
Portion Size 4-6
12 Chicken Thighs / Chicken Drumsticks
200 gm Mushroom (Sliced)
100 ml Red Wine
100 gm Back Bacon (Diced)
20 gm Chicken Stock
1 clove garlic (Crushed)
100 gm Onion (Diced)
2 tblspn Balsamic Vinegar
Sprinkle of Thyme
500 ml Water (Hot)
100 gm Chopped Tomatoes
Salt & Pepper
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan, pass the chicken thighs through flour shake off the excess.
2. Seal the thighs both sides until golden brown, and lay on kitchen roll on a plate to rest.
3. In a Saucepan sprinkle a dash of oil add sliced mushrooms, onions and garlic and sweat for 5 minutes.
4. Add red wine and then bring to the boiland reduce the red wine for 5 minutes.
5. Add chopped tomatoes,balsamic vinegar and then the chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins.
6. Skim any scum from the top whilst cooking.
7. Place chicken in a oven proof dish and pour the sauce pver the top, place in a preheated oven for 20-30 mins.
8. Remove from oven and serve.
Serve with Creamy mashed potatoes.
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe