Coffee Walnut Cake2015-03-30
- Skill Level: Difficult
- Yield : 12
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 60m
Coffee Walnut Cake/Gateau
Make 12 Ptns
250gm Self Raising Flour
250 gm Margarine
250 gm Caster Sugar
1 Tspn Baking Powder
4 Eggs (Beaten)
1 Tbspn Cold Strong Black Coffee Or (1 Tbspn of Coffee Essence)
75 gm Butter (Softened)
175 gm Full Fat Soft Cheese
350 gm Icing Sugar (Sifted)
2 Tspn Cold Strong Black Coffee Or (1 Tspn of Coffee Essence)
175 gm Walnuts (Chopped)
14 Walnut Pieces
1. Preheat oven to 180c/350F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease 2 20 cm/8 inch Cake tins, line with greaseproof middle and sides.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder.
4. Cream together the margarine and sugar to achieve a smooth texture then gradually add the egg beating vigorously.
5. Lightly fold in the flour and a dash of milk to achieve a smooth mixture, incorporate the coffee mixture and mix well.
6. Divide the cake mixture equally beteen the 2 prepared tins ensuring mixture is level, Bake in the oven for 25- 30 mins until just firm to touch.
7. Turn the cake onto a wired rack and remove the greaseproof paper, allow to cool for approx 30 mins
1. Beat the butter and cheese together until light and fluffy, beat in the icing sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time until half has been incorporated,then add the coffee before adding the remaining icing sugar.
2. Assemble the cake, Sandwich together with the buttercream, add two thirds of the remaining buttercream around the sides,then spoon the rest over the top.
3. Add the chopped walnuts around the sides of the cake only
4. Make a zigzag all othe surface of the top of the cake, then arrange the walnut pieces into your 12 sliced spots around the cake and place the last 2 pieces in the centre.
5. Place in fridge uncovered, allow the cake to return to room temp before serving…
For coffee flavouring dissolve 1 tablespoon coffee powder/granules in 1 tablespoon of boiling water, cool before use.